The Smoky Mountains of North Carolina offer an enchanting winter escape with many ski resorts like Beech Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Appalachian Ski Mountain, Cataloochee Ski Area, Sapphire Valley, and the newly rebranded Hatley Pointe. Each resort caters to skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts, from beginners to advanced levels, with well-maintained slopes and state-of-the-art facilities. The region boasts delightful culinary experiences alongside thrilling winter sports with cozy mountain eateries and upscale dining options. For families, the snow tubing attractions at Sapphire Valley and Highlands Outpost promise fun-filled adventures, making the NC Smokies a perfect destination for a winter getaway.
7 Family Fun Winter Sports Destinations in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina
- Beech Mountain Resort: Known as the highest ski resort in the East at 5,505 feet, Beech Mountain Resort stands out for its excellent snowmaking capabilities and commitment to providing reliable skiing conditions throughout the season. The resort features a mix of beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels, a 740-foot vertical drop, and a variety of activities, including tubing and ice skating. The resort also has a unique sky bar at the mountaintop and offers a variety of accommodations and dining options. Beech Mountain Resort is located near Banner Elk, NC
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://beechmountainresort.com
- Sugar Mountain Resort: This resort is celebrated for having the state’s largest ski area and the most vertical drop, with a summit elevation of 5,300 feet and a 1,200-foot vertical drop. It caters to a range of skill levels with 21 slopes and trails. Sugar Mountain is also known for its dedicated learning area and other winter activities like tubing and ice skating. The resort provides diverse lodging options and various dining experiences. Sugar Mountain is located near Banner Elk, NC and Grandfather Mountain State Park.
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://skisugar.com/
- Appalachian Ski Mountain: Located in Blowing Rock, this resort is recognized for its family-friendly atmosphere and beginner-friendly terrain. It features 12 slopes and trails, a renowned ski school, and a variety of activities, including ice skating and snow tubing. The lodge at Appalachian Ski Mountain offers a cozy setting with a spacious fireplace and various food and beverage options. Appalachian Ski Mountain is located near Boone, NC.
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://appskimtn.com/
- Cataloochee Ski Area: Nestled in the Great Smoky Mountains, Cataloochee Ski Area is known for its scenic beauty and excellent snow conditions. The resort offers a range of slopes and trails for all skill levels and a terrain park for snowboarders. While there’s no lodging on-site, nearby Maggie Valley/Waynesville provides various accommodation options. Cataloochie Ski Area is located in Maggie Valley near Waynesville, NC.
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://cataloochee.com/
- Hatley Pointe: Formerly the Wolf Ridge Ski Resort, Hatley Pointe is now the newly owned and rebranded boutique mountain resort in Mars Hill, North Carolina, amidst the Blue Ridge Mountains. The resort offers a variety of activities, including skiing, snowboarding, and mountain biking. Opening in the winter of 2023, Hatley Pointe is being developed to provide guests with exceptional experiences, including new dining options, a newly constructed lodge, and slope improvements.
For more details and updates on the resort, visit Hatley Pointe’s website.
- Sapphire Valley Ski Area: Located in Sapphire Valley, North Carolina, between Brevard and Highlands, this ski area is a haven for winter sports, offering a 1,600-foot main ski run with a 200-foot vertical drop, ideal for beginners and intermediates, complemented by a modern quad-lift and a learning slope. It also features the Frozen Falls Snow Tubing Park, boasting a 700-foot lane with a 60-foot drop for family-friendly tubing fun. The resort enhances the experience with its renovated Base Lodge Park, Fire Pit, and the new Slopeside Tavern, ensuring a warm, friendly atmosphere in a conveniently navigable setting.
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://skisapphirevalley.com
- Highlands Outpost: More than just its Scaley Mountain Screamer, a gravity-powered mountain roller coaster, Highlands Outpost also offers a snow tubing experience with a Magic Carpet lift and a thrilling ride down the slopes in a tube. It’s suitable for those at least 42 inches tall and four years old. There’s a Kids Snow Play area for younger visitors (8 years and under). Group rates are available for parties of 20 or more. For more information, visit Highlands Outpost Snow Tubing. Highlands Outpost is located in Scaley Mountain near Highlands, NC
For more details and updates on the resort, visit their website: https://www.highlandsoutpost.com/
Each of these Smoky Mountain ski resorts has unique offerings, from advanced ski runs to family-friendly environments and a range of winter activities. Whether you’re an experienced skier or a beginner, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful region.