Sliding Rock in Pisgah Forest
See Instagram Waterfall Photos
Insider’s Guide to Sliding Rock
A Thrilling Natural Waterslide in Pisgah National Forest
Sliding Rock, located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina, in the heart of Pisgah National Forest, is a thrilling destination that offers a unique and exhilarating outdoor experience. This natural waterslide attracts visitors near and far, providing endless fun and unforgettable memories. Here’s your insider’s guide to Sliding Rock.
What to Expect at Sliding Rock
At Sliding Rock, you’ll encounter a 60-foot natural rock formation that acts as a waterslide, with water cascading down into a refreshing pool at the bottom. It’s an incredible sight to behold and an even more exhilarating experience to slide down the slick surface into the chilly mountain water below. This family-friendly attraction offers pure joy and excitement for all ages.
Hiking Trail Conditions
While Sliding Rock doesn’t require a hike, there are trails in the area that allow you to explore the surrounding beauty of Pisgah National Forest. The nearby Looking Glass Rock Trail and Moore Cove Falls Trail are popular options for hikers of varying skill levels.
- Looking Glass Rock Trail: This moderate-to-strenuous hike covers approximately 6.5 miles round trip. The trail takes you to an iconic granite dome offering panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Be prepared for steep sections and uneven terrain.
- Moore Cove Falls Trail: This easy-to-moderate hike covers approximately 1.2 miles round trip. The trail leads you to a picturesque waterfall that cascades over a cliff. The path is well-maintained, making it suitable for families and beginners.
Location and Directions
Sliding Rock is located in Pisgah National Forest, just outside of Brevard, North Carolina. Here’s how to get there:
- From Brevard, head north on US-276 for approximately 7 miles.
- Look for the sign indicating Sliding Rock Recreation Area on your right.
- Turn right into the recreation area and follow the signs to the parking area.
- Park your vehicle in the designated parking area.
Nearby Town and Exciting Attractions
While visiting Sliding Rock, you can also explore the vibrant town of Brevard and nearby attractions in the Smoky Mountains:
- Brevard: As the gateway to Pisgah National Forest, Brevard offers a range of amenities, including charming shops, art galleries, and delicious eateries. Don’t miss the renowned Brevard Music Center, which hosts world-class performances throughout the summer.
- Pisgah National Forest: Immerse yourself in the beauty of Pisgah National Forest, where you can find numerous hiking trails, including the iconic Looking Glass Rock and Moore Cove Falls. Discover other scenic attractions like Looking Glass Falls, Daniel Ridge Falls, and Pink Beds Loop Trail.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Take a scenic drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, which offers breathtaking views and access to various overlooks, picnic spots, and hiking trails. Don’t miss stops like Graveyard Fields, Devil’s Courthouse, and Black Balsam Knob.
- Asheville: Just a short drive away, Asheville is a vibrant city known for its arts, culture, and culinary scene. Explore the Biltmore Estate, visit the River Arts District, indulge in farm-to-table dining, and enjoy the vibrant downtown atmosphere.
Experience the Thrills of Sliding Rock
Sliding Rock in Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, North Carolina, is an adventure waiting to be had. Slide down the natural waterslide, cool off in the refreshing pool, and embrace the joy and laughter that fills the air. Explore the nearby hiking trails, immerse yourself in the natural wonders of Pisgah National Forest, and indulge in the delights of Brevard and Asheville. Get ready for an unforgettable experience at Sliding Rock, where the fun never stops.
Note: Sliding Rock can be popular, especially during summer months and weekends. It is recommended to check for any restrictions or closures before visiting.