Upper Whitewater Falls
Upper Whitewater Falls: Majestic Beauty in Western North Carolina
Upper Whitewater Falls is a breathtaking waterfall located in Transylvania County, near Cashiers, in western North Carolina. It is the highest waterfalls east of the Rockies and is renowned for its awe-inspiring cascade and natural splendor.
The Trail and Access
To access Upper Whitewater Falls, visitors can follow a moderately challenging hiking trail. The trail is approximately 1.9 miles round trip and offers scenic views along the way. The path includes stairs and rugged terrain, so proper hiking footwear and caution are recommended. The trail leads to an observation platform where visitors can marvel at the spectacular 411-foot plunge of water into the gorge below.
Location and Directions
Upper Whitewater Falls is situated within the Jocassee Gorges area, part of the Nantahala National Forest in Transylvania County, North Carolina. To get there:
- From Asheville, head south on US-64 towards Brevard.
- Continue on US-64 West and turn left onto NC-281 South.
- Follow NC-281 South for approximately 7 miles.
- Look for signs indicating the entrance to Upper Whitewater Falls. There is a parking area available for visitors.
Exploring the Area
While visiting Upper Whitewater Falls, consider exploring the surrounding area and the nearby town of Cashiers. Some attractions and activities to enjoy include:
- Gorges State Park: Just a short distance from Upper Whitewater Falls, this state park offers a variety of hiking trails, stunning views, and opportunities for wildlife spotting.
- Cashiers Farmers Market: Experience the local flavors and products of the region by visiting the vibrant farmers market, offering fresh produce, artisanal crafts, and homemade goods.
- Panthertown Valley: Known as the “Yosemite of the East,” Panthertown Valley is a hiker’s paradise with waterfalls, scenic trails, and diverse wildlife.
Discover the Magnificence of Upper Whitewater Falls
Upper Whitewater Falls is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers in western North Carolina. The impressive waterfall, coupled with the serene natural surroundings, provides a captivating experience for visitors. The nearby town of Cashiers offers additional amenities, dining options, and a chance to immerse yourself in the local culture. Plan your trip to Upper Whitewater Falls and create memories that will last a lifetime in this picturesque corner of the Blue Ridge Mountains.